[Numeracy 236] Re: what is the difference between

Carol King cking at lyon.k12.nv.us
Mon Mar 29 18:24:57 EDT 2010

George,

Here is my version of the why. In -22 and (-2)2 You have the right
idea. With the first of these the square is only clearly happening to
the 2, but you would then apply the negative 1 for an answer of -4 So it
really reads -1 X 2X2. In the second version the writer has clearly
indicated that the problem is -2X-2. Does it make a difference? No,
except to get students thinking about what is included and how to show
it clearly and this understanding can allow you to do some things like
separate out a negative in more complicated problems later.

The second problem is also -1x the absolute value of -6. I was always
taught to take the absolute value first, because that is the number,
after which you apply the negative.

It seems to me that the text you are using is very particular about the
language and is really trying to get students to see the hidden "1". I
frequently tell my students that "the math people" are just like us.
They like to write in shorthand, but you need to think of it as if they
wrote all the parts out.

Carol King

Fernley Adult Education Center

cking at lyon.k12.nv.us