[Numeracy 247] Re: Knowing your facts / Reducing stereotype threat

Kerry Trethewey ktrethewey at centralia.edu
Tue Mar 30 11:52:11 EDT 2010

I always support using alternative ways of allowing a student to solve math problems, such as using a calculator. But memorization of the basic facts involves more than just problem solving. It allows a student to see the relationships within a set of numbers. If a problem has a 3, 6, and 18, I automatically see a relationship because I know the basic multiplication fact. A calculator can't do that for you. Students who cannot see these connections will struggle to even set up problems for use with a calculator-do you enter the 18 first? Multiply the 3 x 18? Etc. If you have trouble recognizing some of the ABC's when reading, you will always struggle to understand new words. The basic facts are the ABC's of math. Some students will have to use modifications, but most just don't appreciate the importance of memorizing these facts and feel that they are too elementary.