[Numeracy 256] Looking for patterns

CHERYL HAGERTY hagertyc at mtc.edu
Tue Mar 30 17:40:55 EDT 2010

I, too, have a problem remembering if the answer is 54 or 56. But I know for 7 x 8 it must be 56 as 54 adds up to 9 and so it is the answer to a 9's basic fact.

I tell the story of the little boy who didn't study as he should have, so he copied down all the math facts as he knew he would be in trouble if he didn't at least look busy.

9 x 1 =
9 x 2 =
9 x 3 =
9 x 4 =
9 x 5 =
9 x 6 =
9 x 7 =
9 x 8 =
9 x 9 =

Well, he knew that one times any number would be that number so he answered the first one correctly. And then because he knew he needed to look busy, he decided to number his paper.

9 x 1 = 9
9 x 2 = 1
9 x 3 = 2
9 x 4 = 3
9 x 5 = 4
9 x 6 = 5
9 x 7 = 6
9 x 8 = 7
9 x 9 = 8

He looked around and noticed everyone was still busy so he figured he better still be writing. So he numbered his paper going up.

9 x 1 = 9
9 x 2 = 18
9 x 3 = 27
9 x 4 = 36
9 x 5 = 45
9 x 6 = 54
9 x 7 = 63
9 x 8 = 72
9 x 9 = 81

And boy, was the little boy surprised when he received a 100 percent on his paper. The adult students usually enjoy the story. And then I ask them to look at all the answers. I ask them to add the sum of the digits of each answer and they are pleasantly surprised when the sum is always nine.

1 + 8 = 9
2 + 7 = 9
3 + 6 = 9 and so on.

For those that have been challenged by math, it helps to have them feel good about something related to math.

I agree that it is important to learn the basic facts. It helps with your speed in doing many of the functions dealing with fractions and factoring. But I also understand that some of the adult students have difficulty memorizing at this point. I feel it is most important that students understand the many processes when dealing with numbers and if a calculator will facilitate their utilizing math, I encourage the use. But I also warn students that you should be able to do the problem with paper and pencil because you never know when the light may be too dim for your solar operated calculator to work! :)

Cheryl Hagerty
Marion Technical College ABLE program and Community Faculty teaching dev. ed math on campus and at the local correctional institutions