[Numeracy 255] Re: Knowing your facts / Reducing stereotype threat

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Tue Mar 30 17:41:56 EDT 2010

I find that students know more than they think they know. Sometimes it's
all in how you frame the question. For example, I will ask my class to
multiply 7 times 25 in their heads. Before anyone answers, I ask them
how much money they would have if they had 7 quarters. They always find
it easier to think in terms of money, even though the problems are
essentially identical. They can very quickly and accurately group the
quarters in their mind as 4 quarters + 3 quarters = 1.75.

Chip Burkitt