[Numeracy 269] Re: Is an absolute value positive?

Carol King cking at lyon.k12.nv.us
Wed Mar 31 17:36:34 EDT 2010

To help with such questions and occasional inaccuracies in our material
I bought a mathematics dictionary (looks like I will be modifying the
text again.).

According to the Collins Dictionary of Mathematics: 1. Absolute value is
the positive real number equal to a given real but disregarding its
sign; Where r is positive, absolute value of r = r = absolute value of
-r.

Less helpful is definition 2. it is a modulus. A Modulus is defined as
a positive real number that is a measure of the magnitude of a complex
number, and its equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of
the real and imaginary parts of the given number. Thus the absolute
value of x+iy is the absolute value of x+iy = the square root of x
squared + y squared.

For me this creates the question of if I have the absolute value of -6
plus 10 is it saying I have 16 of something? If so why didn't the
question just occur as 6+10? As I understand it absolute value is used
in problems that are actually expressing range type ideas. What is the
ultimate purpose of this concept; into what context can a student put an
absolute value question?