[Numeracy 273] Re: Is an absolute value positive?

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 02:03:43 EDT 2010

Greetings Carol and all,

Keep in mind that we don't sign numbers anyway until we delve into integers, because there is a presumption of positiveness to begin with.

As for the concept beneath an absolute value question, how about we just revert to the simpler perspectives: absolute values are positive representations of the "concrete," thereby rendering the signs of numbers being operated on meaningless with reference to countable phenomena.  Thus, both -6 + 10 as well as 6 + 10 both = 16 because negatives have application only in the abstract (mental attributions).  In the abstract, in turn, -6 + 10 = 4, while 6 + 10 = 16.

I believe that for pedagogical purposes, we need to distingish between numbers that represent quantities of whatever, vs. numbers (integers) that reside in the conceptual realm.

I'm not a mathematician.  However, I am a language teacher / educational linguist.  Math is a language.  My goal is to teach it so as to promote meaningfulness.