[Numeracy 279] Linking word- and number-based language

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 15:13:22 EDT 2010

Hello Carol and everyone,

The word-based and number-based language link can be quite a task, can't it?

There is a fundamental difference between the terms quantities and magnitude. Quantities refer to count nouns (persons, places, things, and ideas). 1, 2, 3 people; 1, 2,3 cities; 1, 2, 3 cups of coffee; 1, 2, 3, insights, etc.).  Magnitude(s), on the other hand, can refer both to count as well as non-count nouns (tons of love - a noncount noun in this case, vs. tons of coffee beans - a count noun in this case).

One of the characteristics of absolute values, at least for pedagogical purposes, is the use of numbers (math) to - ultimately - (to be able to) count, whether it be a sum, difference, product, or quotient that derives from performing operations on numbers (whether whole, part, or mixed).

The use of the term magnitude might be potentially confounding for a learner.  Magnitude is a lower-frequency word, and to delve into its meaning while building mathematical awareness might pose a challenge for learners with limited cognitive underlying proficiency levels.  We need to be sensitive to what we wish to accomplish both by teaching and the learning it may trigger.