[Numeracy 281] Re: Linking word- and number-based language

mmanly mmanly at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 16:50:11 EDT 2010

Michael,

Are you suggesting (below) that we use the word "count" instead of
"magnitude" for lower level learners?

I would prefer "the distance from zero" as an introduction to the concept
since it gives the learner (who uses the number line when thinking of
integers) something to visualize. Magnitude is used later when using
vectors which have both magnitude and direction.

Myrna

_____