[Numeracy 283] Re: Linking word- and number-based language

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 02:56:22 EDT 2010

Hello Myrna and all,

What I'm suggesting is that in teaching we're dealing with moving targets amongst our learners. The overarching question, in my mind, is what might trigger meaningfulness from the perspective of an individual learner.

Magnitude and quantity simply do not reside in quite the same conceptual realm. Let's consider the notion of the value of math from the perspective of adults who consider themselves to be successful.  One "content standard," as represented in Equipped for the Future (EFF) has to do with:

Decision-Making Skills
* Solve Problems
* Make Decisions
* Plan
* Use Math to Solve Problems and Communicate (see http://eff.cls.utk.edu/fundamentals/eff_standards.htm).
When we delve into vectors, we are presumably at a "level" beyond what may relate to the math we would even entertain teaching at a "basic and functional" level.

In fact, I'm not even thinking in terms of "low-level" learners, because I embrace the notion of multiple intelligences.   We all struggle in face of certain arenas of  the mental and affective realms.

A rather vague response, but perhaps a platform upon which further discussion can ensue?