[Numeracy 287] Re: What is numeracy?

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 14:58:19 EDT 2010

Hello Melissa and everyone,

In fact, there are so many "literacies" that its original meaning, the ability especially to read, has evolved into a plethora of skills that are associated with the ability to be successful (in the eyes of the beholder and by no means restricted to financial well-being).  Think of financial literacy, health literacy, social literacy, workplace literacy, parental literacy, interpersonal literacy, and legal literacy, just to name a few.

I regard the state of being literate (or numerate in this case) of having the requisite skills to accomplish and master the demands of particular life domains. The necessary skills vary from person to person, depending upon what an individual human being needs or would like to be able to do in face of the life circumstances he or she needs to maneuver.

In that respect, numeracy still begs to be operationally defined.  For example, in the case of vectors previously mentioned, when and why would one need to understand them?

I believe it is important to know what and why we attempt to successfully teach given the characteristics, goals, and desired life outcomes of those we work with.  That is what led me to ask what we meant, for example, by being "numerate."