[Numeracy 288] Re: Linking word- and number-based language

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 15:11:42 EDT 2010

Greetings all,

I believe that George has alluded to fundamental issues in the teaching learning cycle, specifically empathetic scaffolding, and making our learners aware that they and their teacher are in the same boat - learning and teaching together as we wade through whatever learning objectives may be on the plate.  This is another example of the crucial role of affect in education.

One of my students, who is from Turkey, and I have decided to work on a Graduate Record Exam (GRE) preparatory program together.  He is very bright and eager to be cognitively challenged.  His highest level of edcuational attainment is freshman-level college English.  He graduated from high school in Turkey.  This is a test I was not required to take for acceptance into graduate school years ago because it was not deemed predictive of success in a very rigorous program in teaching English to speakers of other languages.  So... both of us are about to embark on a new learning path.  I told my student it might be a difficult one for both of us to tread, and he (as am I) are very much looking forward to the journey.