[Numeracy 290] Re: Looking for patterns

stellacsullivan at aol.com stellacsullivan at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 09:15:57 EDT 2010

I think Cheryl brings in another point with her anecdotal story about the boy. In my experience, I've noticed students retain information when a story is attached (like the one about the boy learning his 9 facts). Songs and stories really anchor "facts" into my students' long term memory. However, I wonder if these stories/songs deter students from bridging these concrete examples with the abstract concepts? Any thoughts on how to bridge the concrete with the abstract?

Stella