[Numeracy 307] Re: Linking word- and number-based language

Carol King cking at lyon.k12.nv.us
Tue Apr 13 17:33:52 EDT 2010

Michael,

I agree it is a task. I think more attention to it could be
beneficial. I was talking with a friend who teaches physics and she is
frustrated that her students do not understand the algebra needed for
some of the simple equations. The students are using ratios to solve
for the unknown, but that will throw them off in the more complex
problems to come. When she explained the method she would prefer they
used I pointed out that she was using terms that those of us not strong
in math were taught to mean addition ( combine, pair,...) and here she
was multiplying with fractions or using division. When we already feel
lost, the words used really matter.

Carol King

Fernley Adult Education

cking at lyon.k12.nv.us