[Numeracy 309] Survey: Teacher Certification in ABE and Literacy/ESOL

Jackie A. Taylor jackie at jataylor.net
Wed Apr 14 12:59:26 EDT 2010

Dear Math/Numeracy List Colleagues,

The following is posted on behalf of Cristine Smith. I hope you will
complete the survey; I found it useful in exploring the issues on Teacher
Certification in Adult Basic Education and Literacy/ESOL. Survey closes
April 26.

Please contact Cris directly if you have questions.

Jackie Taylor

Professional Development List Moderator

Jackie at jataylor.net

Hello, friends and colleagues. Cristine Smith here. How do you feel about
teacher certification in adult basic education and literacy/ESOL?

I'm writing a paper on this issue, and I'd like to hear the views of MANY
practitioners in the field about certification. Together with a doctoral
student at UMass, I designed a new type of online survey using a technique
called "Q-sort". It asks you to sort a number of statements as to whether
you disagree, agree or are neutral about them. I think you'll find it
interesting, and it only takes about 10-15 minutes to complete the survey.

Please click on the link below and it will take you directly to the survey.
You don't have to log in, give your name or your e-mail. And please feel
free to forward this URL to any other practitioners in adult basic education
and literacy/ESOL with whom you work. I am hoping for a wide response from
those who work in our field.

http://abel.phpwebhosting.com/abelstudy/

If you have problems getting on to the site, it may be because your
browser's firewall is blocking it. If so, you may either have to use
another computer (such as your home computer, if you have one). If you have
problems once you get into the survey or get stuck, contact me
(cristine at educ.umass.edu) and I'll try to help.

Another tip: Don't worry if there are not enough blank "boxes" under
"disagree" or "agree" to match your selections. If you put an "agree" in
the "neutral" section, you'll see that it stays the same color, which tells
us that it is still a statement with which you "agree".

The survey will close on April 26, 2010. (That's two weeks from now!)
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and participation. The results
will be included in a paper that should be available to all on the web by
summer 2010 or thereabouts. Best.Cris

Cristine Smith, Assistant Professor

University of Massachusetts, Amherst

<mailto:cristine at educ.umass.edu> cristine at educ.umass.edu