[Numeracy 314] Re: Controversial News Articles

Michael Gyori tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 13:37:16 EDT 2010

The problem with national standards is that they become the primary means of evaluating performance by means of multiple-choice assessments.  Linda herself is one of the leading opponents of such assessments, as evidenced by her espousal of assessment practices elsewhere that shed light on the reasoning processes our students undergo.  They take a lot more time to "score" and don't lend themselves to digitalized scoring.

The federal government already has too huge of an impact on what and how teachers should teach.  The backlash to that impact is itself, IMO, a major cause of educational failures.