[Numeracy 350] Re: Freirean Math, plutonomics

Dudley, Jennifer JDudley at pccc.edu
Fri May 7 08:48:55 EDT 2010

Hello,
I hold an MBA in Finance. Let me shed some light on the mumbo jumbo that the spin doctors have out there. Most people in financial services need to have learned some math (perhaps through basic calculus but you probably only use slope and your calculator). When you enter the field, you basically need to know how to read charts. There are a few rare individuals in the field who create some math models...but there are no higher order math wizards sitting behind a curtain who are extraordinarily brilliant and driving the show. It's a myth. The concepts behind many "products" could be broken down into a few sentences. The purpose of the products are to make money and to keep the general population deluded and in awe.
It's about greed not math.
Jennifer Dudley