[Numeracy 358] Re: Missing concepts

awayman1 at kirksville.k12.mo.us awayman1 at kirksville.k12.mo.us
Mon May 10 11:56:40 EDT 2010

This idea that lack of math understanding comes from missing concepts
makes sense to me. If these are concepts "math people" have, and
even textbook writers assume that all adults have them, how can we
know what we need to teach for increased understanding? My questions
therefore are:

1. Where can I find an ordered list of the necessary math concepts
an adult needs to have to understand math?

2. Is there a test already developed to check for these necessary
concepts?

In other words, how do we identify the problem so we can begin to
"fix" it?
Thank you for any help you can give.