[Numeracy 360] Re: Numeracy and EFF

George Demetrion gdemetrion at msn.com
Tue May 11 07:37:36 EDT 2010

Thanks Michael.

This is truly a solid piece worthy of much probing. I've downloaded signbificant portions of the larger document.

Best,

George

Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 17:15:52 -0700
From: tesolmichael at yahoo.com
To: numeracy at nifl.gov
Subject: [Numeracy 352] Numeracy and EFF

Greetings everyone,

I'd like to share an interesting document (quite lengthy, but all the better because you don't need to ask where the beef is) put out by the Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges last year. The links are at http://www.sbctc.ctc.edu/college/abepds/wa_math_cf_2009.pdf and http://www.sbctc.ctc.edu/college/abepds/wa_abe_math_continuum_2009.pdf.

Discussions continue on this list about how to make math "concrete", both in the sense of teaching it with reference to day-to-day life and also how to scaffold instruction so that studies of numbers can take on personal meaning. The document takes the math standard of Equipped for the Future (EFF) and effectively runs with it - no easy task!