[Numeracy 362] Re: Freirean Math, plutonomics

Carol King cking at lyon.k12.nv.us
Tue May 11 12:32:40 EDT 2010

There really is nothing that mystifying about the derivatives used in
the housing market. Here is how I explain it on a very general level. I
take a pool of debt I expect to go unpaid and a pool of debt I expect to
get paid and possibly a pool of debt I expect to get paid but with
penalties. Split the pools up so that some of each is mixed together.
Basically you are using probabilities to create mixes of loans that
should limit loss on high-risk loans. One thing that made it complicated
was the use of fractions of loans being used to create the pools and the
probabilities of payback in each pool. When it was time to close the
accounts how do you round those fractional amounts that fall below a
penny when there are people out there actually expecting to be paid in
actual currency? It doesn't take much education to see that housing
prices were unrealistic, loan risks were unrealistic, and that we were
headed for an economic correction because spending with credit was far
outpacing savings and income increases while causing rising prices and
rising costs. (What we all need is a change in our attitudes about the
material things we need and about paying for items now not at some
future date.) Derivatives work to balance out when calculated over time,
but not when you shorten the timeframe for payback because you have
directly changed your calculation outcomes (a basic math concept in
probabilities.). Add to the mix complex instruments like pay -the
-interest -only mortgages or fluctuating payments like the ballooning
interest rates and the math looks impossible, but the intent is clear:
make money but don't pay the actual cost of the item. No one could
predict the exact date the of the bubble burst, but everyone knew it was
coming because the balance of value to cost was getting out of line and
it was increasingly unlikely to be thirty years down the road when the
correction occurred (the time when the mortgages would be paid); the
calculation were projections made assuming the full time period of the
loan when they knew they were unlikely to reach maturity (or didn't
bother to think about it.) People took predictions to be facts instead
of probabilities and they didn't follow common sense rules in making
purchases of homes or derivatives. (Couple that with governments like
the one in Nevada where all their predictions for cash flow were based
off the housing boom without regard to its probable end and you get the
mess we are in.)

More than knowing the actual math you needed to know the purpose of
the math to determine if this was a good bet or not. So long as you
could quickly hand it off it was a good bet; maybe we should be teaching
the game of hot potato to our children?

Carol King

Fernley Adult Education

Cking @lyon.k12.nv.us