[Numeracy 374] Re: Dan Meyer: Math class needs a makeover

George Demetrion gdemetrion at msn.com
Fri May 14 16:28:37 EDT 2010

Thanks Michael. I watched the entire video. Very engaging and much to consider. The only caveat I have and it's a major one, is that for many students, learning how to master the procedures in doing math accurately is a major accomplishment in its own right as well as a porofessional goal of many. Moreover, conceptual work can be embedded in various explanatory discussions and elaborations following explanation of accurate computation.

I know for our students, being able to think about negative integers at a second level when learning fractions is a major challenge in its own right where students do gain a sense of personal power in accurately completing such computation as 2/3-(-4/5) in which doing so is no minor achievement.

To be sure, the purposes of a course or program also need to be factored in as well as the time framework in which students are working; namely whether they have the luxury of slower-paced learning or are pressing forward toward college readiness in situations where time may be the essence.

To be sure, there may be plenty of opportunity to engage in the thick learning as reflected in the video, with the focus on an in-depth problem soilving pedagogy. I just wouldn't want to define valid learning as such on the grounding assumptions of that very important video.

Best,

George