[Numeracy 378] Re: Innumeracy

Dianna Baycich dbaycich at literacy.kent.edu
Mon Jun 7 16:33:04 EDT 2010

Scarey but true! The two "scams" that seem to affect our adult literacy and
GED students the most are the Rent to Own stores and the Payday lenders and
checkcashers. To compound the problem of "innumeracy", many of the adult
literacy and GED teachers I know say they are reading people, not math
people, but are expected to teach math to their students. Some programs are
lucky enough to have math teachers teaching math, but not all. What kinds of
things can be done with our limited time and funding?

Dianna Baycich