[Numeracy 379] Re: Innumeracy

Barbara Caballero barbaracaballero at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 7 17:40:40 EDT 2010

Hello!
What a great article!

When flipping a coin, my father used to say, "Heads I win, tails you lose."  I still get confused!

Numeracy is not just being able to understand the math concepts and visualize the problems and solutions; we have to train ourselves to have a healthy dose of skepticism and curiosity, plus the desire to spend the time and energy to work through the lingo and protect our interests.

Instead, we trust.  We are in too much of a hurry.  The people who stand to gain will purposefully complicate transactions and apply unrealistic rules and deadlines.  We get overwhelmed.

In terms of looking at a complicated math-related issue and breaking it down to something understandable:
I had my class listen to a podcast from Planet Money (NPR) in which an economist explained how the price of illegal drugs might change if these drugs were legalized.  My students first predicted how prices would change - some said up, some said down; then we listened.  Then we reviewed the points that the economist made.  My purpose was to expose my class to economics vocabulary while listening to a topic that held their interest.  It was a good class.  To me, it was a math-related class.

Another recent Plant Money podcast offered an understandable explanation of toxic investments.  I'm thinking of drawing a flowchart and having my class listen to the podcast.  Could be good.

Not a math teacher, but a fan of numeracy,
Barbara Rotolo-Caballero
GED and ESL/GED transition instructor with emphasis on reading and writing