[Numeracy 382] Re: Transitioning from GED to Post-Secondary Ed

Dianna Baycich dbaycich at literacy.kent.edu
Mon Jun 14 13:14:00 EDT 2010

I would like to hear what folks think are barriers, too. I'm more of a
reading and writing person and I would like to see the similarities and
differences with math. One thing I see for writing is that GED teachers tend
to teach students how to write a very formulaic 5 paragraph essay as a way
to pass the essay portion of the GED test. Unfortunately, this in no way
prepares them for the writing tasks they will be expected to do in
postsecondary education. Are similar things happening in math? Or are the
barriers different?

Dianna