[Numeracy 382] Re: Transitioning from GED to Post-Secondary Ed

Clay, Anne aclay at gntc.edu
Tue Jun 15 09:15:53 EDT 2010

A major barrier is "us" - well, not all of "us".
Many teachers in Adult Education/GED teach only the skills necessary to "pass" the GED Math test, not to "excel" on the GED Math test. This really gets on my last nerve just as robotically teaching a five paragraph essay to "get passed" the essay though the student still struggles with daily writing needs such as a note to a supervisor or their child's teacher...heaven help post-secondary writing needs!
If we teach skills, not a test, at each literacy level, we will be preparing our students for post-secondary education, workplace skills, life skills, and life-long learning...not to mention the benefit to the children in these families.
We are NOT "just" an Adult Education/ GED teacher, we are teachers!

Anne

Anne K. Clay, Lead Instructor
Polk Adult Education
Georgia Northwestern Technical College