[Numeracy 384] Re: Numeracy Digest, Vol 6, Issue 5

Daniel Rodriguez drodriguezharlemcenter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 12:37:10 EDT 2010

Dianna,

The barriers are of a similar nature in Math as well. A student that
passes the math section of the GED is typically NOT PREPARED for
college. The GED focuses on word problems, reading charts, and
geometry. The college placement exam for CUNY in NYC focuses on
hard-core straight up algebra, polynomials, and flirts with trig.
Unless a student scored close to 800 on GED Math, the student will
usually place into remedial math classes in college. It is essential
that the student find tutoring or enroll in a prep class immediately
after passing the GED. In NYC they can call the Murphy Institute
(212) 827-0200 (speak to Linda Levin). Often, there is tutoring
available after students enrolled but placed into remedial. For
example, LaGuardia CC has the CTI program (718) 482-5174x2.

There is almost no alignment between what the GED tests and what
colleges need. This is one of the reasons the GED is supposed to be
changed in 2012 . . . .

Dan Rodriguez
Assistant Director
Harlem Center for Education
EOC/TRIO

--
Daniel Rodriguez
Assistant Director, Educational Opportunity Center