[Numeracy 390] Re: Transitioning from GED to Post-Secondary Ed

Steven Ewert Steven.Ewert at fresnounified.org
Wed Jun 16 13:59:13 EDT 2010

I have been following this discussion with a lot of interest and wondering how not only can we find the time to do more, but how can we motivate the students to do more. (There has been a similar discussion on the Writing list serve.) The reason I add the issue of motivating students to do more is that often when students feel they can pass the test, at our school, they can go sign up. Most of the students just want to pass the test and then will worry about what may be coming up next. Not nearly all my students go on to further academic education. They need the GED for work, to get jobs or small promotions at their jobs. Some will go on to vocational training and the GED prepares most of them adequately for the requirements in their training.

If the students are sponsored by a program (get their books and testing fees paid for) they may need the teacher's permission to test. But, then again, the program is only interested in the student passing the GED and appears to not be concerned about what he or she may need after getting the GED. So as soon as the student demonstrates the ability to pass the GED on the practice tests, sometimes with minimal scores, off he or she goes to testing.

Another issue I deal with is that my classes are open entry/open exit, with a fairly active revolving door. I spend a lot of time remediating basic skills. I love it when I can teach geometry (very basic) or algebra (really intro to algebra), but I rarely get to spend as much time with either of those components as I would like.

So, I deal with guilt, knowing I haven't prepared my college bound students as adequately as I would like. Nothing will change until the GED test changes to require a level of proficiency required for entering college.

An aside. I don't know if anyone has addressed this, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that the GED was meant to prepare people for the world of work, not necessarily college. As a result, the GED was written to incorporate people's work experience to help them pass the test. They wanted to recognize that many of our students have learned much from work situations and that learning needed to be validated.

Steven Ewert
Fresno Adult School