[Numeracy 395] Re: [SPAM] - Re: Transitioning from GED to Post-Secondary Ed - Email has different SMTP TO: and MIME TO: fields in the email addresses

Sharon Shoemaker sharon_shoemaker at indep.k12.mo.us
Thu Jun 17 10:08:57 EDT 2010

Steven,

Some of our students want to go to college. They are capable. Unfortunately, we are the "one room school house" and must accommodate students headed for college, tech school, or simply a job.

I think many Adult Education teachers deal with motivating students to learn. If you have few hours, it becomes worse.

I "play at learning" with my students. For some reason, integers click for most students when I use positive and negative number die. We researched Greece and did projects -even my non-reader made a poster. We closed the social studies unit with a Greek pot luck dinner. Yes, we researched Greek food for the dinner. Three of my students couldn't get Algebra until I placed the problems on laminated cards and worked on marker boards with them. Whatever it takes! They love to come. They succeed faster and some of them want to study Algebra 2 and beyond. Those who don't want to don't have to. We are all individuals. Each of our talents is important to society. The teacher keeps his/her ears and eyes open to what the students need.

I was at an ELL/Civics training in the spring and one of the trainers mentioned that we can open pathways in the brain through a relaxed classroom. People learn better when they are happy. I realized why "playing" while learning works. They are relaxed and the teacher is modeling the joy of learning. More students want to stay. More students succeed. If they find that they can go to college, etc., they will want to.

Even ½ hour of active or group learning during a 2 or 3 hour class session will show results.

Sharon

Sharon L. Shoemaker

Literacy Coordinator

Independence Adult Education

600 W Mechanic

Independence, MO 64050

816-521-5507

Six essential qualities that are the key to success: Sincerity, personal integrity, humility, courtesy, wisdom, kindness. William Menninger