[Numeracy 400] Re: [SPAM] - Re: [SPAM] - Re: Transitioning from GED to Post-Secondary Ed - Email has different SMTP TO: and MIME TO: fields in the email addresses - Email has different SMTP TO: and MIME TO: fields in the email addresses

Sharon Shoemaker sharon_shoemaker at indep.k12.mo.us
Fri Jun 18 10:02:00 EDT 2010

Here is a thought that might help us with the higher math issue for college bound students who won’t need it.

I found out that students in our state can opt out of the foundational classes that they are placed in because they didn’t do well on the entrance test (our test is the ASSET). They must sign papers to do this.

My son took the test and did not pass. He was placed in a math class that literally was teaching 0 X 1 = 1, 0 X 2 = 2, etc.- for an hour. He knew fractions, decimals, percents, and basic algebra. He dropped the class and lost money.

So… if you are sure that students know the material and your college has the opt out option for the non-credit foundational classes, advise them to do so.

Sharon