[Numeracy 419] Re: (no subject)

Wilson, Beverly Beverly.Wilson at azed.gov
Fri Jun 25 14:13:14 EDT 2010

The Empower Series was developed in conjunction with the Teachers Investigating Adult Numeracy (TIAN) Project. The TIAN model was piloted in Arizona and a few other states in 2006, and was subsequently offered to additional states through a grant application process. TIAN focuses on improving the math content skills and instructional strategies of ABE teachers using an intensive professional development model. Since 2006, Arizona has had over 50 ABE teachers that have completed the 50+ hours of professional development in TIAN. A number of these teachers have had great success in using the TIAN strategies with students at the ABE I-ASE levels-and have been particularly successfully in preparing students for the GED math test and transition services.

Our teachers and students have really benefited from this numeracy initiative and from the expertise and guidance of the TIAN project director and co-author of the Empower Series, Mary Jane Schmitt. If you're interested in more information about TIAN or the Empower Series the website is:

http://www.terc.edu/work/458.html

Beverly Wilson
Professional Learning Manager
Arizona Department of Education
Adult Education Services

"No improvement effort has ever succeeded in the absence of thoughtfully planned and well-implemented professional development."
(Thomas Guskey and Kwang Suk Yoon, "The Leading Edge", March 2009)