[Numeracy 438] Re: New Ideas

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Fri Jul 30 07:32:34 EDT 2010

Five geese lay 55 eggs in 5555 days. One-fifth as many geese will lay
one-fifth as many eggs in the same amount of time. Therefore, one goose
will lay 11 eggs in 5555 days. On average, the goose lays an egg every
(5555 / 11) = 505 days. This type of problem is confusing because it
contains two rates: eggs per day, and eggs per goose. It is reminiscent
of the old puzzler that goes: "If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a
half in a day and a half, how many eggs will 30 chickens lay in 30
days?" The key to solving such problems is to keep the rates separate.
This one is also slightly different because we are actually interested
in how many days it takes to get one egg rather than how many eggs per day.