[Numeracy 442] Re: New Ideas

Margaret Rogers mrogers-princess at att.net
Fri Jul 30 15:01:12 EDT 2010

Hi,

Remember I come from the math ed side, so usually just start with
logical thinking rather than the pure mathematics. I divided 5555/55
and got 101 as the average time it takes to get an egg. Since there
are five geese at work, I then multiplied by 5 and got 505. But now
that I read the question about a single goose, I might have just
lucked out on the answer - mathematicians advise. In any case, these
geese are really slow to reproduce : >)

I, too, thought immediately about the problems with a hen and a half....

Even if I was off base, I really love this stuff!

Margaret Rogers

On Jul 30, 2010, at 4:32 AM, Chip Burkitt wrote:

> Five geese lay 55 eggs in 5555 days. One-fifth as many geese will

> lay one-fifth as many eggs in the same amount of time. Therefore,

> one goose will lay 11 eggs in 5555 days. On average, the goose lays

> an egg every (5555 / 11) = 505 days. This type of problem is

> confusing because it contains two rates: eggs per day, and eggs per

> goose. It is reminiscent of the old puzzler that goes: "If a

> chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how

> many eggs will 30 chickens lay in 30 days?" The key to solving such

> problems is to keep the rates separate. This one is also slightly

> different because we are actually interested in how many days it

> takes to get one egg rather than how many eggs per day.

> On 7/29/2010 1:29 PM, Istas, Brooke wrote:

>> Good Job Chip!!! 505 is the answer. Will you walk us through how

>> you solve this?? Of course there are many ways to do this...but

>> if you would explain your method to the group that would be great!!!

>> -Brooke

>>> Mexico.

>>> I just want to tell those that may not have had an opportunity to

>>> look at the site from New Zealand that if nothing else, print out

>>> what you need and read it when you have a little more time. IT

>>> IS GREAT!

>>> Thanks to all of you that have supported all of us.

>>> Jackie Kiefer

>>> Adult Ed. Program Coordinator/GED Instructor

>>> Dona Ana Community College

>>> Anthony, New Mexico

>>> Subject: [Numeracy 430] Re: New Ideas

>>> Hey Brooke,

>>> Married life is making you bold! I appreciate the discussions,

>>> and, although I am not a regular contributor, I have gained new

>>> insights from peers and implemented many suggestions into

>>> professional development for staff and “beefed up” curriculum and

>>> lesson plans locally. Looking forward to another year of peer

>>> discussion.

>>> Nance Munderloh

>>> Subject: [Numeracy 429] New Ideas

>>> Good Day Everyone!

>>> I realize that Summer has kept many of you from participating in

>>> Math and Numeracy Discussion. Like many of you, finding time to

>>> do all we need to do in a day can be challenging at times. But,

>>> I believe this list can help us to improve professionally as

>>> administrators, researchers, instructors, and students, we just

>>> need to find a few moments to share our expertise with each

>>> other. Is that not why you originally signed up to participate

>>> on this list?

>>> Therefore, changes are going to be in the works to improve the

>>> participation on this list. If you have a topic that you would

>>> like to discuss, something you found to be interesting that you

>>> would like to share, or an issue that you have run into that

>>> relates to Math and Numeracy then post it to the list. The goal

>>> is to see this list as a learning community, after all, there is

>>> a WEALTH of expertise and knowledge found here but we must be

>>> willing to participate.

>>> With that, here is a math challenge that was posted on Twitter:

>>> "5 geese in a gaggle produce 55 eggs in 5555 days. What is the

>>> avg. # of days it takes a single goose to lay an egg?"

>>> http://www.eset.com