[Numeracy 444] Re: New Ideas

Kate Nonesuch Kate.Nonesuch at viu.ca
Fri Jul 30 23:14:43 EDT 2010

I don't think there was a punch line--as I remember it (from many years ago) it seemed a rhetorical question.

I remember it, though, because it reminds me that even when the problem has numbers, the solution may be dependent on some non-mathematical factor.

For example, those "real life" problems that ask students to figure out the "best buy." E.g., "A quart of milk costs $1.89 and a gallon costs $6.25. What is the best buy?"

A student who only has $5.00 and has to buy a loaf of bread, too, will have a different correct answer than a teacher with $50.00 in his pocket.

(And I'm sorry if the costs don't seem right--I don't know how much milk costs in the USA and it's been a long time since I bought my milk in any size but litres!)

Kate Nonesuch
Victoria, BC
kate.nonesuch at viu.ca
(250) 381-1824