[Numeracy 449] Re: Monday Puzzle

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Mon Aug 2 19:21:49 EDT 2010

This old chestnut relies on the reader's inability to think clearly
about the values being presented and what they represent. The $2 in the
bellhop's pocket should not be added to the $27 paid by the men. That $2
is the /difference/ between the $27 the men paid and the $25 the room
actually cost. The difference between the $27 and the original $30 is
$3, the amount returned to the three men. At the end of the story we
have three amounts which total $30:
Cost of the room--- $25
Bellhop's pocket--- $ 2
Returned to men--- $ 3
These three amounts can be taken two at a time as follows:
Amount men paid--- $25 + $2 = $27
Amount actually refunded--- $2 + $3 = $5
Cost of room plus amount returned to men--- $25 + $3 = $28
The story refers to only the first two amounts. Clearly, it does not
make sense to add the $2 a second time to get $29 ($25 + $2 +$2).
Instead the $2 should be added to the third, unnamed amount.

Chip Burkitt