[Numeracy 457] Re: Monday Puzzle

Istas, Brooke IstasB at cowley.edu
Tue Aug 3 12:50:28 EDT 2010

Hello All!

I am glad that many of you are contributing to the discussion with your
methods for approaching these problems. My learners seem to really like
these warm-up questions or brain teasers. Ladnor made a good point with
his comment about the "=" symbol. I have seen the misuse of the equals
symbols in many classrooms not just in adult education but in
college/university classes, too (I have even been guilty of misusing it
myself). Does anyone else have an opinion about the misuse of math
symbols? Does it create more math confusion? What other math symbols
do you feel are misused and lead to further math frustration with
learners?

Let's discuss this!

Brooke Istas