[Numeracy 460] Re: Monday Puzzle

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Tue Aug 3 13:30:48 EDT 2010

Students are often confused by the unary minus and unary plus signs.
These signs do not indicate an operation but rather whether the number
is positive or negative. For example, +2 and ­-4. They also get confused
when the unary minus precedes a variable, for example, ­-x > 0. Many
students assume this relation is false, but it actually means the same
as x < 0. When I teach the unary minus, I say that it means "the
opposite of" or "the additive inverse of" (with appropriate explanations
of what opposite and additive inverse mean). In a more perfect world,
perhaps, there would be different symbols for "opposite of" (which is a
number modifier) and "minus" (which is an operation on two numbers).

Chip Burkitt