[Numeracy 462] Re: Monday Puzzle

McIntosh, Tricia tmcintos at ghc.edu
Tue Aug 3 16:31:48 EDT 2010

My bad.

Tricia McIntosh
I-BEST Facilitator/Instructor
http://ghc.ctc.edu/voc/ibest.htm
From: numeracy-bounces at nifl.gov [numeracy-bounces at nifl.gov] on behalf of Ladnor Geissinger [ladnor at email.unc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:15 AM
To: The Math and Numeracy Discussion List
Subject: [Numeracy 456] Re: Monday Puzzle

Oh please, don't ever write such an obviously incorrect equation for
your students, and don't let them write things like that! No wonder
they think math is confusing and makes no sense.
30 - 3 =27 and 27 - 2 =25 are both correct of course, but 30 - 3 = 27
- 2 is clearly wrong.

Given two numerical expressions expr1 and expr2, when we write the
shorthand sentence " expr1 = expr2 " we mean that if, or when, you
evaluate both expressions then the resulting numbers are in fact the same.

Numeracy at nifl.gov