[Numeracy 473] Re: Puzzle/Thought of the Day

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Thu Aug 5 20:29:26 EDT 2010

Your answer is correct. 841 is 29 x 29. Since 29 is a prime number,
there are no other possible factors of 841 (except 841 and 1, as you
noted). 29 cents requires 4 pennies and a coin that ends in 5, i. e.,
either a nickel or a quarter. If a quarter, then you would have only 5
coins. Therefore, it must be a nickel. The remaining 20 cents must be
made up of 4 coins, none of them pennies. No combination of nickels and
dimes will work except 4 nickels and no dimes.

Chip Burkitt