[Numeracy 482] The equal sign

Michael Gyori michael_gyori at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 15:03:47 EDT 2010

Greetings all,

I so often use the analogy of a scale in discussing equal signs and equations,
especially when I teach algebra. As long as the scales are balanced, there is an
equality (even if of weight in non-mathematical reality because you might have
rice on one side and apples on the other).

Mark is spot on, IMO, in terms of the need to create meaningfulness.  I have
found that so many of my students have learned to "hate" math because they fail
to understand the language that it is and its applicability to real life daily
tasks they are or could be engaged in  Once you build affective barriers to the
subject, the burden becomes twofold.