[Numeracy 491] Bridge Program Survey from the JoyceFoundation

Istas, Brooke IstasB at cowley.edu
Fri Aug 13 16:26:59 EDT 2010

Happy Friday All!

Here is some information that many of you might find beneficial so I
thought I would pass it along.

Brooke

<https://app.icontact.com/icp/loadimage.php/mogile/468164/239fa5569f18da
696bfe96a6e5943e9d/image/png>

501 E. Bayshore Drive

margaret at literacypowerline.com

www.literacypowerline.com
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=42805434&msgid=340676&act=FLX
O&c=468164&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.literacypowerline.com>

INFORMATION RELEASE

Contact: Margaret Doughty
Phone: (832) 721-5915

August 11, 2010

Posted on behalf of Whitney Smith, The Joyce Foundation and Julian L.
Alssid, Workforce Strategy Center

Dear Colleagues,

We need your help disseminating a new survey designed to collect
information about bridge programs across the country.

As you know, bridge programs
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=42805434&msgid=340676&act=FLX
O&c=468164&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.workforcestrategy.org%2Fimages%2
Fpdfs%2Fpublications%2Fbridge_definition.pdf> are a 21st century idea
to help adult students obtain the necessary academic, employability, and
technical skills they need to enter and succeed in post-secondary
education and training programs. The need for bridge programs-also known
as integrated education and training (IET), contextualized learning,
embedded skills-has never been greater, as:

* Almost half of our workforce in 2030 will be comprised of today's
working adults

* Nearly 25 percent (or 90 million adult workers) have low basic
skills and are not prepared for these positions (no HS diploma or
college or low English language skills)

* High school graduates are only part of the solution as only 4.2
million people graduate from high school annually

* Nearly half of all job openings will require more than a high
school education

Bridge programs are proliferating across the country at an exciting
rate. For this reason, The Joyce Foundation
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=42805434&msgid=340676&act=FLX
O&c=468164&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.joycefdn.org%2F> in Chicago,
Illinois, approached Workforce Strategy Center
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=42805434&msgid=340676&act=FLX
O&c=468164&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.workforcestrategy.org%2F> to
collect information to create a composite picture of how many bridge
programs exist, where they operate, with what populations, in what
industries or sectors, with what educational characteristics, and more.

The results will give funders and other key stakeholders a better sense
of the depth and breadth of the field. A strong response rate will help
validate the notion that the bridge program concept is gathering real
momentum and credibility as a promising intervention.

in and demand for a peer network that could possibly provide a range of
services, such as technical assistance, field building, and advocacy for
bridge programs; and whether there are enough programs operating around
the country to start collecting outcome and other types of rigorous data
in a coordinated way. This short survey will take 15 to 20 minutes for
program administrators to complete.

It is designed to cast as wide a net as possible and that is where we
need your help as partners in this venture. We are asking you to share
this email and survey with any program that you think should be captured
in this first scan. And all respondents will have a chance to win an
Apple iPad!

Here is the link to the BridgeConnect survey:

www.surveymonkey.com/s/SLY783Q .

The survey will be active until Friday, September 10, 2010.

We are excited to get this survey into the field and thank you for your
help distributing it to your networks. We look forward to sharing this
information with you in the coming months. If you have any questions,
please feel free to contact one of us.

Sincerely,

Julian L. Alssid, Workforce Strategy Center and Whitney Smith, The Joyce
Foundation

.

Email Marketing by <http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>
iContact - Try It Free! <http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>