[Numeracy 494] Re: What does equality mean?

Michael Gyori michael_gyori at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 01:34:16 EDT 2010

Chip,

I fail to understand why the definition of equality is subject to variation -
say in relation to the level of numeracy of our students.  I have
always understood equality in math to signify equality in value. If you perform
the same operation on identical values with different expressions, of
course doing so might result in inequality, as you appear to state in your post
below.  My question is, why can we not apply a consistent definition to equality
when teaching math at whatever level we may be doing so?