[Numeracy 499] Re: Equality, unary signs, and operations...

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Wed Aug 18 01:06:27 EDT 2010

Michael,

I agree. A balance scale makes an excellent metaphor for equality.

I remember a bit about the unary minus sign and your contention that it
has no physical representation. Of course, the same could be said for
the concept of number. Counting is actually a fairly sophisticated
exercise. It requires knowledge of a number system, understanding of
one-to-one correspondence, and confidence that the quantity does not
change if items are counted in a different order. Even tallying, which
does not require a number system, still requires fairly powerful
abstract reasoning. For example, if I say, "I have fourteen chickens,"
the number fourteen is an abstraction. It cannot be derived from the
chickens; it has to be brought to the chickens. So fourteen (or any
number, for that matter) also has no physical representation. It could
be argued that fourteen is what all groups of fourteen items have in
common, but that reasoning is circular and neglects other properties
that groups of physical items have in common (e. g., occupies space,
color, mass, duration).

Nevertheless, numbers certainly have more common applications in the
lives of students than unary minus signs do. When I introduce negative
numbers, I give examples likely to be common to everyone: below zero
temperatures (especially here in Minnesota), overdrawn bank account, and
below sea level elevations. It is especially easy to understand
operations on temperatures (e. g., Most students know that warming up
10° from −17° is −7°).

Chip Burkitt

On 8/17/2010 5:42 PM, Michael Gyori wrote:

> Hello Chip,

> I wonder whether Ladnor might be willing to weigh in further at this

> poin with respect to the nature of equality. I don't know what a

> "real" mathemetician is, but if there is such a person, I would

> consider him to be one... :)

> As for equality, the reason I like the metaphor of a scale

> in discussing equality is that it connects numbers with

> physical physical phenomenon and shared background knowledge (by and

> large). Scales don't compare what's on either side, they just

> tell you that weights are the same when they're balanced.

> On another note, we had some very interesting discussions about unary

> signs a while ago. I contended and still contend that they had

> no physical existence. I'd be really interested in further

> discussion about unary signs vs. operations.

> Michael

> Michael A. Gyori

> Maui International Language School

> www.mauilanguage.com <http://www.mauilanguage.com/>