[Numeracy 501] Re: Equality, unary signs, and operations...

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Wed Aug 18 09:57:15 EDT 2010

Michael,

Yes. Temperature scales we use every day are also arbitrary. The Celsius
scale makes the most sense since it takes its 0 and 100 from the
freezing and boiling points of water. The Fahrenheit scale takes its 0
from a brine solution and its 96 (originally) from normal human body
temperature. It's easy to avoid negative temperature values, however, by
using a scale that starts at absolute zero, such as the Kelvin scale.
Nevertheless, most students are at least familiar with the notation of
below-zero temperatures expressed with a unary minus sign. They also
quickly grasp the idea that adding positive degrees to a negative value
causes it to go up the scale, while subtracting causes it to go down. So
it provides a fairly natural way to introduce addition and subtraction
involving negative numbers.

Net worth is also a useful concept for dealing with negative numbers,
but it requires introducing assets and liabilities as well. Still, it's
not hard to describe assets as what you own and liabilities as what you
owe. When you owe more than you own, you have a negative net worth.

Chip Burkitt

On 8/18/2010 1:32 AM, Michael Gyori wrote:

> Chip,

> My only reservation is that a unit of measurement of temperature

> is entirely abstract, while being in the red is not. When we *owe*

> money, our balance is negative, even if the money we owe is positive...

> Michael

> Michael A. Gyori

> Maui International Language School

> www.mauilanguage.com <http://www.mauilanguage.com/>

> *From:* Chip Burkitt <chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com>

> *To:* Michael Gyori <michael_gyori at yahoo.com>

>>> Chip,

>>> I fail to understand why the definition of equality is subject to

>>> variation - say in relation to the level of numeracy of our

>>> students. I have always understood equality in math to signify

>>> equality in value. If you perform the same operation on identical

>>> values with different expressions, of course doing so might result

>>> in inequality, as you appear to state in your post below. My

>>> question is, why can we not apply a consistent definition to

>>> equality when teaching math at whatever level we may be doing so?

>>> Michael

>>> Michael A. Gyori

>>> Maui International Language School

>>> www.mauilanguage.com <http://www.mauilanguage.com/>

>>> for ABE or GED students, it is usually enough to know that the equal

>>> sign is like a balance scale. In order for the sides to be in

>>> balance, the expressions on both sides must have the same value. If

>>> you add something to one side, you must add it to the other side as

>>> well to maintain the balance. If you subtract from one side, you

>>> must subtract it from the other side as well. When students get into

>>> algebra, they need to know that some transformations of an

>>> expression can change the character of the equality. For example

>>> (−/a/)^2 = /a/^2, but it does NOT follow by taking the square root