[Numeracy 510] Re: Monday Math Puzzle

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Mon Aug 23 09:17:04 EDT 2010

The clock that doesn't run is right most often.

This is a variation on a conundrum from Lewis Carroll, author of Alice
in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking-Glass. The clock that
doesn't run at all is right twice a day. For example, if the hands are
set at 10:10 (like the hands of clocks in magazine ads), then the clock
will be right at 10:10 AM and again at 10:10 PM every day. The clock
that loses an hour a day, however, may never be right during the week,
depending on the week. Since it loses an hour a day, it takes 12 days
for it to lose 12 hours, at which time it will be right again. Lewis
Carroll introduced the problem by first asking which was more useful a
clock that was right twice a day or one that was right twice a month.
The intuitive answer is that the clock that is right more often is more
useful, but that turns out not to be the case. (Carroll makes a long,
silly argument to show that a stopped clock is just as useful as one
that loses time. You can find it in