[Numeracy 516] Re: Another perspective on numbers, operations, and negatives

Michael Gyori michael_gyori at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 14:44:05 EDT 2010

Hello Ladnor and and Mark,

I understand more clearly now what both of you have shared.  Thank you. All that
said, I am still undecided about how a spatial rendering of negative integers
(e.g. the Boston transit) would ultimately benefit ABE/GED students, except in
the event of a need to perform operations on integers correctly on a test.

What is the real-world applicability of integers for someone whose life does not
revolve around the abstract in part - as yours, for example, as mathemeticians,
and mine and as educational linguist?  That is the question I still haven't
answered to my own satisfaction.

I appreciate your contributions very much!