[Numeracy 519] Re: Another perspective on numbers, operations, and negatives

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Mon Aug 30 01:33:47 EDT 2010

I'll jump in here. One reason for using negative numbers is that they
help answer mathematical questions that can't be answered with positive
numbers. (The same is true of the rational numbers and real numbers.)
The positive integers suffice for doing addition and multiplication.
When we introduce subtraction, however, we also introduce a problem: not
all subtractions yield positive integers. There are two ways to address
this problem. One is simply to forbid subtracting larger from smaller
numbers. This is essentially the approach we use in elementary school
before we introduce negative numbers, and it appears to be the approach
that Michael finds appealing. The other approach is to extend the number
system to include negative numbers. Allowing the negative integers gives
closure to subtraction just as addition and multiplication are closed.
(Addition of two positive integers always yields another positive
integer. Likewise, multiplication of two positive integers also always
yields a positive integer. However, subtraction of two positive integers
may not yield a positive integer. By extending the number system, we now
have a way to evaluate expressions such as 15 - 25, and addition and
multiplication are still closed in the extended system.

Like subtraction, division is the other problem. When we first learn
about it, we start with "undoing" multiplication, so we are careful to
use only divisions that will yield whole numbers. Unfortunately, there
is no simple comparison that will tell us whether an expression will
evaluate to an integer. With a few exceptions, we have to actually carry
out the division in order to determine whether the result is a whole
number. Moreover, no matter how we try, we can't make 0 fit into our
division scheme. Division by 0 is simply forbidden. It causes too many
intractable problems. Once we realize that some division problems don't
yield whole number answers, we introduce the concept of remainder. The
remainder allows us to continue using whole numbers for a while.
However, there are plenty of situations where whole numbers are simply
not enough. We extend our number system again to include fractions: the
rational numbers. Ignoring 0 as a divisor, the rational numbers are
closed under division. Every division expression between two rational
numbers (excluding 0) yields a rational number as a result.

This is a mathematical explanation for why we need negative numbers and
fractions. It may not be very satisfactory to someone who wants to know
how they will benefit them in their daily lives. Perhaps someone else
has a more concrete explanation.

Chip Burkitt