[Numeracy 524] Re: Another perspective on numbers, operations, and negatives

Michael Gyori michael_gyori at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 00:52:37 EDT 2010

Hello Mark,

You state, and rightfully so, that:

Without understanding the concept of negative numbers, how can students answer,
"In Chicago, Illinois, Monday’s temperature at 3 p.m. was 11 degrees. If it
dropped to a low of -3 degrees that evening, how many degrees did the
temperature drop?"

Without understanding the concept of negative numbers, how could students
understand the distance between the top of Mt. Everest (at 29,028 feet above sea
level) and the Dead Sea shore (at 1,371 feet below sea level)?

Would you comment on why you believe such understandings might be useful, let
alone necessary?  What is the day-to-day life value of such understandings? I
ask as someone who even spent time at the Dead Sea shore... :)

I'm asking from a place of true curiosity and I hope that is not in doubt.

Thanks,