[Numeracy 529] Announcement: September 2010 Issue of LINCS Resource Collection News

Kaye Beall kabeall at comcast.net
Wed Sep 1 15:31:57 EDT 2010

<http://www.nifl.gov/>
Literacy Information and Communication System (LINCS)

September 2010

LINCS Resource Collections
<http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/l?u=13D43&e=774DD&c=A72D&t=1&email=HLNuDHJc
chmq1eP%2FRh%2BrUeztbz28XFns>

<http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/RC_skills.html>
Basic Skills

<http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/RC_planning.html>

<http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/l?u=13D44&e=774DD&c=A72D&t=1&email=HLNuDHJc
chmq1eP%2FRh%2BrUeztbz28XFns> Program Management

<http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/RC_workforce.html>

<http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/l?u=13D46&e=774DD&c=A72D&t=1&email=HLNuDHJc
chmq1eP%2FRh%2BrUeztbz28XFns> Workforce Competitiveness

<http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/l?u=13D45&e=774DD&c=A72D&t=1&email=HLNuDHJc
chmq1eP%2FRh%2BrUeztbz28XFns>

LINCS Regional Resource Centers

Region 1

Kaye Beall

Boston, MA

kaye_beall at worlded.org

Tim Ponder

Kent, OH

tponder at literacy.kent.edu

Region 2

Beth Ponder

Knoxville, TN

baponder at utk.edu

Region 3

Paul Heavenridge

Oakland, CA

pheaven at literacyworks.org

Welcome to LINCS Resource Collection News!

Each month, we will feature one of the three LINCS Resource
Collections-Basic Skills, Program Management, and Workforce
Competitiveness-and introduce research-based resources that you can use in
your adult and family literacy programs and classrooms. This edition
features the
<http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/RC_planning.html> Program
Management Collection, which covers the topics of Assessment, Learning
Disabilities, and Program Improvement.

The National Institute for Literacy's I Street offices are now closed.
Operations have moved to the Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE)
until September 30, 2010. The new mailing address is U.S. Department of
Education, OVAE, PCP 11031, 400 Maryland Ave, SW, Washington, DC,
20202-7240. On September 30, the Institute will cease all operations. As of
October 1, LINCS activities will continue under the support of OVAE.

What's New in the Program Management Collection?

There is a possibility that many adult ESL students whom we view as poor
language learners are struggling because they may have a learning
disability; but, is it possible that other reasons may prevail? Please join
the <http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/Learningdisabilities/> Learning
Disabilities (LD) List for a guest discussion, Adult ESOL Learners Who
Struggle: Is it REALLY Learning Disabilities?, Sept. 17-21, 2010, with guest
Robin Lovrien Schwarz.

<http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/abstracts/programplanning/RC_
plan_abs42> Achieving Adult Education Program Quality: A Review of
Systematic Approaches to Program Improvement
The authors provide a background of how quality efforts in adult education
evolved and discuss the significance of the National Literacy Act of 1991
and the Workforce Investment Act of 1998. Case studies and systematic
program practices of three state-level initiatives in Oregon, Tennessee, and
Vermont are provided.

<http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/abstracts/programplanning/RC_
plan_abs17.html> Assessment for Adults with LD and/or ADHD
Testing and diagnosis of a learning disability are important for an adult
seeking accommodations in both work and school. This article answers four
questions around this topic:

* Who diagnoses a learning disability?
* What is involved in the process?
* What is the cost of testing?
* What information do I need after diagnosis is complete?

<http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/abstracts/programplanning/RC_
plan_abs44> Best Practices in E-Assessment
The purpose of this paper is to provide insight into the origins, evolution,
and key concepts of assessment as well as illustrate some of the ways in
which technology and e-Learning serve as the most promising mechanisms for
satisfying assessment goals and objectives.

How can I learn more about the Program Management Collection?

Visit the Program Management Collection,
<http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/RC_planning.html>
http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/RC_planning.html, for
additional resources. Contact the Program Management Collection content
experts for additional information and to learn more about the resources,
technical assistance, and professional development opportunities that are
available at no cost. Assessment-Marie Cora, marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com;
Learning Disabilities-Aaron Kohring, akohring at utk.edu; Program
Improvement-Gail Cope, gcope at utk.edu.

What is LINCS?

LINCS is a service of the National Institute for Literacy, providing online
information and communication networks for adult and family literacy
practitioners. LINCS' offerings include Discussion Lists, Regional Resource
Centers, the Collections, and training opportunities. Learn more about
LINCS on the Web site, <http://www.nifl.gov/lincs>
http://www.nifl.gov/lincs.

What will I find in the New LINCS Resource Collections?

The three new
<http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/resourcecollections/resource_collections.html>
LINCS Resource Collections, expanded this year, are comprised of items that
have completed a rigorous internal and external review. Use these resources
directly in the classroom or to guide development of customized programs and
classes. You can find more information about the new Resource Collections on
the Institute's Web site, <http://www.nifl.gov/> http://www.nifl.gov/.

National Institute for Literacy
Washington DC
(202) 245-7720