[Numeracy 549] Announcement: Gues Discussion Starts TODAY: Reducing Health Disparities while increasing Literacy

Istas, Brooke IstasB at cowley.edu
Mon Oct 4 13:50:22 EDT 2010

Guest Discussion Starts TODAY: Reducing Health Disparities while
Increasing Literacy

Hi Everyone,

I am very excited to announce a guest discussion on the Health Literacy
Discussion List about some research that is looking at methods and
effectiveness of integrating health literacy into adult literacy and
ESOL classes.

You can join the list for free (and then un-join after the week's
discussion if you wish.) Just go to:

[Please note: This is a NEW URL as of October 1st, when the nifl.gov
server switched over to lincs.ed.gov!]

Title:

Reducing Health Disparities while Increasing Literacy - Research
Confirms that Adult Literacy and ESL Classrooms are a Good Place to
Learn about Health

Date: October 4-8, 2010

Guests: Dr. Marcia Drew Hohn and Dr. Lorna Rivera

We have known for a long time that adult basic education programs are
ideal places to address health literacy. There are many reasons for
this, and we have much anecdotal evidence to show that adult students
are able to learn about health issues and accessing care very
effectively in the same classrooms where they build their literacy and
English language skills. But there is little to no research that
supports this claim.

Join us with our guests, Dr. Marcia Drew Hohn and Dr. Lorna Rivera, who
have been implementing a research project since 2007, which suggests
that we can now confirm what we have long claimed. The project, "The
Impact of Participatory Health Literacy on People of Color with
Low-Literacy Skills", was funded by the Horizon Center at the University
of Massachusetts and NIH.

The study took place at three Massachusetts Adult Learning Programs,
where teachers used resources from such places as the University of
Massachusetts Nutrition Extension Program and the LINCS Health and
Literacy Special Collection to teach special classes on the chosen topic
of nutrition. The students were highly engaged in the project, and were
shown to improve their awareness, knowledge and behaviors around
nutrition.

This study validates the value of addressing health literacy in adult
education programs and of collaborating between health and literacy
programs. It also provides a good model for further study, and presents
a few different teaching strategies that can now be confirmed to be
effective in improving students' health literacy.

During the discussion, we will talk about the methodology and design of
the research, and hear from teachers and students about the process and
experience. We will also see examples of students' work, and explore how
this study can validate and inspire future projects.

Preparation Reading:

Literacy, Health and Health Literacy: Massachusetts Research Project
Confirms that Adult Literacy Programs are a Good Place to Teach and
Learn about Health By Dr. Marcia Drew Hohn

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Literacy%2C_Health_and_Health_Lit
eracy:_Massachusetts_Research_Project_Confirms_that_Adult_Literacy_Progr
ams_are_a_Good_Place_to_Teach_and_Learn_about_Health

(Note: this is a long URL, so please copy and past it carefully!)

Julie McKinney

Health Literacy List Moderator

World Education

jmckinney at worlded.org