[Numeracy 559] Announcement: New Change Issue on Fashion

Kaye Beall kabeall at comcast.net
Fri Oct 8 10:49:49 EDT 2010

"Fashion: The Power, The Peril, and The Passion"

The Change Agent, Issue 31

Fashion is a topic that can be both fun and serious. In this thought
provoking, visually appealing issue of The Change Agent, we examine: how our
clothes make us feel, bathing suits through the ages, extreme body art, how
to make fashion small talk in the ESOL classroom, rules for shopping,
fashion and female body image, dressing for success, clothing and
stereotypes, the hidden cost of cheap clothes, how to have fun with fashion
without breaking the budget, who makes our clothes and where, the problem
with fur, how parents and kids work out their fashion conflicts, and much
more!

Using poetry, short narratives, interviews, cartoons, illustrations, and
photos, this issue roots reading, writing, and math lessons in content that
is fun and relevant to adult learners. Background pieces and interesting
facts provide opportunities for students to extend their learning. Lesson
plans and discussion questions give teachers classroom-ready material that
will engage students and provide an important forum for critical thinking,
sharing, and achieving understanding across diverse experiences.

This entire resource is free online at www.nelrc.org/changeagent.

And please consider inviting your students to write for The Change Agent.
Our next issue is called "Your Neighborhood, Your Health"; it explores local
environmental problems and community responses. Look for the "Call for
Articles" on our website: http://www.nelrc.org/changeagent/write.htm

Contact Cynthia Peters, Change Agent Editor, at cpeters at worlded.org with any
questions.

Kaye Beall