[Numeracy 578] Re: Cognitive levels on the GED math section and its implications for instruction

Mary VanderKam mvanderkam at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 20:21:44 EDT 2010

I really appreciated this reminder about what is important on the GED exam. Just this month a survey was done of instructors in our program as to what they needed help with in teaching math. The answers were all procedural: percents, similar triangles, perimeter and area, etc.

Sometimes the students who are poor in reading but good in calculation do not do well on the GED predictors because they do not read the problem carefully and think through ways to solve the problem. They just do something-anything-with those numbers.

One strategy I have used is to have two students take a predictor together and talk it through as they go. This forces them to read carefully and to realize that there can be alternate strategies to solve a problem. I enjoy seeing two heads together, calculators in hand, discussing what to do--and they generally enjoy it as well. Math in real life is not a solitary activity. I think this strategy helps get rid of some of the anxiety our students have as well. We also do a lot of work with partners on more advanced review problems similar to those on the GED.

I look forward to reading lots of other suggestions!

Mary Vanderkam
Family Literacy
South Bend Community School Corporation